Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Starting Over


Back in January, one of my Facebook friends posted about teaching her first boot camp class at the local YMCA. When I asked when the class was held, she told me 5:30 am on Monday and Wednesday. I thought, "Holy hell! I'll never be able to get out of bed that early!" Tina said, "Give me your digits, and I'll text you in the morning."

In my first boot camp class, I struggled to keep up, but I kept at it and made it through. The next day, I was so sore that it hurt to walk, it hurt to stand up, it hurt to sit down, it hurt to do almost anything. But I kept going, and I got mad at myself if I overslept and missed it. After a few weeks, I could feel positive changes in my body!

In April, my knee started hurting. I've had trouble with it for years, but I must have done something to strain it. I woke up one morning to find it stiff and swollen. I babied it where I could and kept going to boot camp. A few weeks later, I hurt it again in boot camp, and a few days later, I could hardly walk on it. Well, that put an end to boot camp for awhile.

So I saw my doctor who prescribed a brace, sent me for x-rays and an MRI (hope I never have to do that again!), and referred me to an orthopedist. The orthopedist just gave me a cortisone shot, and told me to come back if it keeps giving me problems.

Since then, I've only made it to boot camp sporadically, but I've decided I need to start getting there again. This week, I've been leaving my phone in the living room to charge so when the alarm goes off in the morning, I have to get out of bed to turn it off. I'm still dragging but when I get out of bed, and I've been late getting to boot camp, but at least I get there.

This morning as I joined in with the rest of the class, I had to pause to catch my breath. I thought to myself, "It's like I'm starting all over again." I'm back to day one of boot camp where I was struggling to keep up with the rest of the class and having to stop to catch my breath. I hate that feeling. I want to be strong. I want to be healthy. I want to rebuild my endurance. The one good thing is that I can still use an eight pound weight instead of going back down to five pounds. I think I may even be ready for ten pounders soon!

From now on, I'm going to keep going to boot camp so I don't have to keep starting over!

2 comments:

  1. The hardest part is showing up. You have made it both day this week, you are off to a great start. Yes, you handled those 8 lbs like a rock star...... I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I made it both days a few weeks ago and then missed the whole next week (or maybe 2 weeks).

      Delete